“Swachhta has been recognised and accorded top priority by the government of India. Hygiene and
hygienic practices in life are critical for health not only to improve a living environment but also to
elevate our thinking to a more pure and healthy state. A huge population base and varying
education and awareness levels do not promote a secure hygienic environment and hence this is a
major challenge. Lack of hygiene in habits negatively impacts the country's progress to global
benchmarks in all spheres and also impacts the working population.
The key goals of Swachhta Action Plan are:
This creates unhealthy mind-
sets in the people. A clean or Swachh mind is generated from a Swachh environment. Teachers and
students of the education system need to play the lead role in making the masses aware of the
quintessential need for hygiene. The Department of Higher Education decided to embark on the
mission through the standard operating procedure on Swachhta for its Institutions setting forth
practices that must be implemented at all higher educational institutions.
All Institutions need to
simultaneously follow the parameters of the campus hygiene laid out in the material so that the
minds of the students flower in a clean and pure campus atmosphere. Along with education,
swachhta is also a precious lesson that can be learnt in education Institutions as it defines students’
personalities” - Shri Prakash Javadekar, Hon’ble Minister for Human Resource Development, Govt. of
India. Based on the thoughts of the Hon’ble Minister , MGNCRE was deputed to work on creation of
various tools to help HEIs to inculcate a sense of Swachhta in their students.
1. To institutionalize cleanliness or Swachhta as an integral part of the functioning of educational
2. To set the tone and pace for Swachhta movement in the country with the huge outreach and
knowledge base of HEIs.
3. To galvanise HEIs into introspection and appraisal of their campus cleanliness and to stimulate
corrective action to achieve higher benchmarks.
4. To transform HEIs into models of environmental consistency, conforming to various factors of
ecological balance in their daily functioning.
5. To contribute positively to attain SDGs related to environment and health
a. Goal 3 : Good Health & Well Being
b. Goal 6 : Clean Water & Sanitation
c. Goal 7 : Affordable & Clean Energy
d. Goal 11 : Sustainable Cities and Communities
6. To devise and share parameters and templates for Swachhta rankings of HEIs in 2019.
The Swachhta Action Plan goals were achieved through conduct of:
1. Three National Consultative Workshops for Development of with University Vice Chancellors,
Deans, Heads of Departments.
2. Curriculum Development Workshops: for course writers of the PG Diploma Course in Waste
Management & Environmental Hygiene.
3. Resource & Course Material Development.
4. Release of Resource & Course Material at appropriate platforms.
5. Two-day Faculty Development Workshops from Autonomous Universities/HEIs and Institutes of
Management across the country on Waste Management and Social Entrepreneurship.
Key Objectives of the Swachhta Action Plan.
1. Provide guidance to institutions on various aspects of Swachhta for a clean and green campus
through a use of Standard Operating Manual (SOP).
2. Build swachhta skills in students and ensure they take ownership of maintaining Swachh
3. Ensure Swachh campuses through use of Swachh Campus Manual.
4. Promote healthy competition between institutions to maintain swachhta ratings.
5. Develop a structured curriculum on Environmental Hygiene, Sanitation and Waste
Management that is to be offered as an elective paper for UG Courses to widen the scope of job
opportunities for degree students.
6. Develop a structured PG Diploma Course for universities/colleges on Waste Management and
Environmental Hygiene that will lead to a skilled workforce being available to organizations
involved in Swachhta.
7. Develop a structured MBA Programme on Environmental Hygiene and Social.
entrepreneurship for PG students that providing managerial workforce to the organizations
involved in Swachhta.
8. Contribute to the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan by building awareness in universities/colleges
through celebration of various days through the year.