Dr. W G Prasanna Kumar, Chairman, Mahatma Gandhi National Council of Rural Education (MGNCRE) prides in calling himself a Public Servant working for Climate Change. His expertise in Disaster Management has him in the advisory panels of several state and national level departments. He is also an expert advisor for the government of Telangana in its Disaster Response Force endeavour. A master trainer for Civil Services candidates, he conducts intensive training programs periodically at the behest of nationally recognized training institutes. He is currently actively involved in promoting higher education curriculum addressing rural concerns in India. “Villagers to be producers not just consumers" is his conviction that drives him to work for rural challenges. He aspires for an adaptive disaster risk resilient and eco-responsible India. The Curriculum on MBA in Waste Management and Social Entrepreneurship, and BBA and MBA in Rural Management are his major academic achievements dedicated to India’s rural concerns. This has culminated in several collaboration MOUs for introduction of MBA/BBA Rural Management in Higher Education Institutions across India.
Dr. Prasanna Kumar excels in taking a vision and making it a reality and a plan into action, driven by a strong motive to achieve. He has translated positive intentions into tangible results. Being clear on the vision, defining a pathway, setting of the track with a clear destination point and quickly taking corrective actions as and when needed – are his prime qualities that make him an Achiever.
Dr. Prasanna Kumar has held diverse and successful portfolios earlier including as Professor and Head, Centre for Climate Education and Disaster Management in Dr. MCRHRD Institute where he conducts several capacity building and action research programmes in climate education, disaster management and crowd management.; Director, National Green Corps, where he was instrumental in promoting environmental education activities in educational institutions; as Senior Social Scientist, AP/Telangana Pollution Control Board, where he advocated environmental education and awareness; as Capacity Enhancement Specialist (Administrative Staff College of India ASCI) where he was involved in promoting reforms in Municipal Administration by documenting the Best Practices in Municipalities and Municipal Corporations across the country. Dr. Prasanna Kumar holds Ph.D in Education with basic degree in Social Work and Master’s Degree in Sociology, Public Administration and Political Science. He also has professional education in Environmental Economics, Public Relations, Communication, and Training and Development.
Under Dr. W G Prasanna Kumar’s leadership MGNCRE has done nationally recognized instrumental work in building rural resilience including rural community engagement and Nai Talim - Experiential Learning. He has guided and helped MGNCRE in making key decisions and implementing agenda in several areas including Nai Talim (Experiential Learning), Community Engagement, Rural Immersion Programmes, Swachhta Action Plan activities, Industry-Academia Meets and Exhibitions on Waste Management, Comprehensive Sanitation Management in villages by working with Higher Educational Institutions, making curricular interventions in Waste Management and Rural Management, compiling Text Books on Waste Management and Rural Management, Unnat Bharat Abhiyan activities, UNICEF (WASH) activities and several other related impactful activities. MGNCRE has become an interface for Government of India for promoting academic activity focusing on the rural concerns, being an advisor and a curriculum development agency for the Government of India. The Council is also now an RCI for Unnat Bharat Abhiyan.
Another pathbreaking achievement has been the formation of Cells through online workshops for institutionalising the efforts of MGNCRE. Vocational Education-Nai Talim-Experiential Learning (VENTEL) discuss MGNCRE’s interventions in HEIs and making Vocational Education as a Teaching Methodology; Workshops on Social Entrepreneurship, Swachhta and Rural Engagement related activities in Higher Education Institutions has paid dividends and the key roles of the HEIs is highly appreciated by the Ministry. Building continuity and sustainability is being done through Social Entrepreneurship, Swachhta & Rural Engagement Cells (SES REC). Institutional level Rural Entrepreneurship Development Cells (REDC) Workshops/ FPO/FPC-Business Schools Connect Cells (FBSC) are organized with the objectives of Functionality of RED Cell; Preparation and Implementation of Business Plan and grooming students to be Rural Entrepreneurs.
MGNCRE’s major achievements under his chairmanship include -
● MGNCRE being given Faculty Development Centre status
● Gandhiji’s Nai Talim - Experiential Learning - Work E d u c a t i o n - g i v e n an impetus – with State SCERTS, Universities, B Ed Colleges - participating across India
● Conducting of Roundtables, Workshops, Master Trainers Development Programmes, Faculty Development Programmes, Rural Immersion and Community Engagement Programmes, PRAs, PLAs, Research Projects,
● Internships at various Central/State Universities, NITs, IITs and accredited colleges
● Calling for Minor Research Projects, Action Research Projects, Case Studies on rural concerns
● Swachhta Initiatives - University Rankings, Swachh Campus Manual, Elective Courses, PG Diploma Programme in Environmental Hygiene, Sanitation, Water & Waste Management
● Curriculum Development – AICTE approved MBA Programme in Waste Management and Social Entrepreneurship, BBA in Rural Management
● Elective Course in Environmental Hygiene, Sanitation and Waste Management
● PG Diploma in Waste Management and Environmental Hygiene
● Compilation of Text Books for transacting MBA Waste Management and Social Entrepreneurship and MBA Rural Management curriculum
● Conducting National Conferences on Rural Management for Rural Management Institutions in the country for curriculum development on Bachelor of Rural Management or BBA Rural Management Rural Community E n g a g e m e n t and PRA for Unnat Bharat Abhiyan Regional Coordinators in the country for Fostering Social Responsibility and Community Engagement in Universities
● Rural Community Engagement for Human Resource Development Centres in the Country on integrating Community Engagement aspects in the programmes of the HRDCs in the country
● Compiling of Swachh Campus Manual, Jal Shakti Campus and Jal Shakti Gram Manual and the portal for updating the role of higher education institutions in the country
● Promoting MBA in Waste Management and Social Entrepreneurship with 2 day conferences and exhibitions showcasing the technologies and industry- academia meetings
● Producing video case studies and resource material for transaction of MBA Waste Management and Social Entrepreneurship and BBA as well as MBA Rural Management curriculum
● Online Monitoring of Swachhta Action Plan – reviewing performance of select Swachhta awarded higher education institutions
● Promoting Swachhta in 200 villages in the country and documenting this effort
● Signing of MoUs for BBA RM with stakeholders
● Bringing out monthly newsletter and periodic research publications
● Formation of action oriented ‘Cells’ in Institutions (Vocational Education, Social Entrepreneurship and Rural Entrepreneurship)
Dr. W G Prasanna Kumar has been instrumental in developing MGNCRE’s state-of-the-art e-Learning Centre with infrastructure for conferencing and training facilities which include training programs, skill building sessions and workshops with facility for video linking the entire country and sharing online educational resources for rural community engagement and development. A man with many firsts to his credit, and an incredible record of accomplishments, Dr. W G Prasanna Kumar is currently guiding MGNCRE in building a resilient rural India.